Hi Wil,

Yes, this newsletter will be similar to those on the page you linked.

The relevance of an article about check fraud is that Wikimedia thematic
organizations should be aware of financial security issues that could
impact them, and check fraud is one of those issues.

Yes, a how-to article about setting up a secure MW installation would be in
scope for the security newsletter.

Pine