On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 September 2014 05:46, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those of us who presently use talk pages to get the work done. What is
> going to make us *love* Flow, for all its imperfections, and demand to
> have it for ourselves? What's Flow's killer feature for us?

First, on the subject of "kiler features", generally - we can make
educated guesses, but with software that's used by communities, you
really need to experiment and iterate. I'm sure we'll try stuff in
Flow that doesn't make sense (and we've already talked here about
aspects of the current design that may have to be changed, like the
limited threading display), and I'm sure things we think are minor
will become more popular than we expect.

Generally, I'm not a big fan of maintaining illusions of certainty.
I've argued against detailed year-long plans to Sue and the Board, as
I'm sure they will attest, until we got the flexibility to set more
malleable goals in engineering. Lila immediately came in with the
expectation in mind that we'd have precision a quarter out, and broad
high level ideas a year out, and need flexibility to change our mind
as we learn. In tech work, you need to be able to double down on
success when you hit it (make that killer feature _the_ feature), and
kill the cruft that you thought was smart but that just doesn't work.

With Echo, we included a bunch of notification types and didn't really
know which ones people would love. We guessed that mentions would
become popular, but their use has exceeded our wildest expectations.
Go to any high traffic talk page and you'll see Echo pings all over
the place. A feature that didn't exist before 2013 and that nobody, as
far as I know, ever asked for (!) before we built it. And yet it's
become indispensable.

When we experimented with mobile contributions, our first hypothesis
was that uploads would be a good start, because mobile isn't
well-suited for long form edit contributions. In fact, mobile editing
became wildly popular very quickly and has generally been embraced by
the community (to the point where people ask us to enable IP editing
on mobile, which we consciously did not do initially to lessen crappy
edits), while the signal to noise ratio on uploads has been so poor
that we're about to retire most upload features until we really can
spend cycles on mitigating those risks.

So, educated guesses and hypotheses.

Flow makes lots of things possible that are otherwise hard/impossible
(much better search, tracking of comments, etc.) but my hypothesis is
that there are three primary killer features that Flow can provide:

1) Fast interactions. The process of responding on a talk page is
ridiculously slow (edit section, find place, indent comment, write
comment, sign comment, preview, save, worry about edit conflict ..).

In my view, the reason people don't value this in Flow such-as-it-is
already is primarily [[loss aversion]]. There's a large set of
concerns that Flow makes existing things impossible (and yes, I'll
respond a bit more to Diego) or harder. Losses are psychologically far
more powerful than gains -- so any cool comment features that Flow
_already has_ (fast and easy replies, no edit conflicts, etc) will not
be perceived to be "killer features" unless/until the balance of
perceived losses shrinks dramatically from what it is now. And it'll
keep shrinking as we go.

As pointed out, we can _try_ to make this work with sticks, spit and
duct tape on top of wikitext, even in the odd cases of mixed markup
for indentation, comments interrupted in the middle, outdent
templates, etc. -- but it'll almost certainly just have to bail in
some cases, and misidentify comment demarcations in others. I'd like
to test those boundaries a bit more before making confident statements
about how much of "fast interactions" we can deliver without Flow,
however. Either way, it is IMO a clear killer feature that's badly
needed.

2) Centralized conversation spaces. Flow's architecture is already
cross-wiki; its UI is not. As pointed out, there are multiple
cross-wiki discussions as well as mailing list discussions about this
very topic. Wil suggested "Pick a conversation space and stick to
it!". Well, wouldn't that be nice - if it worked in our universe.
Except that we know it rarely does. People want to have discussions in
their "home wiki", and we use mailing list threads like this for good
reasons as well.

You could participate in the same Flow conversation from en.wp,
mediawiki.org and meta, without caring one way or another (SUL
finalization being the main blocker to avoid account wonkiness).
When/where that's desirable is something to negotiate -- but for
example, feedback on features that are deployed across wikis is a
perfect case for wanting to have local pages that feed into a single
stream of comments.

If you want to go nuts, you could build a Flow<->mailing list or
Flow<->NNTP (oldschool!) gateway. If we do our API homework, I mean
literally "you" because we're sure as hell not going to do it anytime
soon ;-)

Flow -theoretically- even could have language awareness of individual
posts, enabling a single multilingual discussion space, easy
translation of individual comments, etc. A team of Japanese
researchers built something like this on top of LQT a few years ago,
as a prototype: http://langrid.org/mwikidev/  (Guess why they didn't
build it on old-school talk pages?) For a truly multilingual
community, I think that could be a killer feature -- as opposed to
just splitting the conversation spaces, as we do now.

3) Tags. The team hasn't decided if/how to implement tags yet. My own
bet is that they could be a killer feature. Let people add/edit those
right below the thread title with one click and see if they start
using them.

Say you want an article to be deleted. Start a thread with #afd tag,
explain your rationale, you're done. Other users can pull up the
recent #afd threads, sort by date, etc. Discussion can happen at the
article level or from the tag page.

Say you want to welcome new users. Leave a welcome note with #welcome
tag. Other users can join in on the welcome and give tips/hints.

Say you're a new user and you want to get help. Start a thread with
#help tag and it'll show up on that board. Other users can provide
help. (Yes, I know the {{helpme}} template which is sort of a very
poor person's version of this.)

Say you like a picture and you want to nominate it for FP status.
Leave a note with #fpc and it'll get added to that feed. (Tags that
are invoked from File talk: pages could dynamically include a thumb,
so no need for extra logic to do that.)

If people misuse tags, others will remove them. (And no, it doesn't
have to be the hashtag syntax. It could work like categories, where
tags could have pages describing them and their purpose -- I wouldn't
recommend using actual categories, because the hierarchy is overkill.)

You'd probably need a tiny bit more pixie dust for rich workflows, but
I'm not quite sold on the idea of a workflow domain language or
anything like that. I'd look for simple rules: Flow already has
"closure" as a discussion property, so closed threads could be easily
filtered. Setting a tag could generate a configurable notice on the
subject page. Etc.

Workflows built in wikitext are cool (I've built a few myself, and I
only hate myself a little bit for it in the morning), but they're not
the only way to build workflows. Tags, dynamic searches, pings, and
similar mechanisms can help build and improve workflows, as well,
potentially in a much more straightforward fashion.

Flow can help us expand our toolset, and it's for us (the WMF-us) to
prove that the balance of losses won't be too large in comparison to
our (the Wikimedia-us) gains. But we (Wikimedia-we) need to do that
cost accounting rationally, gently allowing reason, time, habit and
adoption to act as a counter to the normal over-accouting of losses
vs. gains.

Erik
--
Erik Möller