On Sep 10, 2014 9:35 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi.
> When you look at talk pages in isolation, you look at them on a computer
> screen. A mobile or tablet screen is increasingly not used in isolation.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

It
> is where we find our new users and editors. We cannot afford to ignore
> them; they are our future. This is why tinkering with talk pages is not an
> option. Moving away from talk pages because of mobiles and tablets is the
> killer reason why we need to move away from talk pages.
>
> It is a killer reason because it makes all arguments to the contrary pale
> away.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

What I find most painful about talk pages on mobile (on the desktop skin,
because so far I've been too impatient to find talk pages and edit
functionality on mobile) have been that editing huge text areas really
sucks (the scrolling and positioning the cursor is a huge pain). This is
not limited to talk pages by the way, but is identical for mainspace pages.

A reply button that inserts an isolated comment at the correct indentation
level would fix that. Am I overlooking stuff?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:History_of_Alaska&diff=prev&oldid=26555079