On 10 September 2014 22:28, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <bjor...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Diego Moya <dialm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have about 3000 pages in my
>> watchlist, and receive around 400 updates daily only from talk pages,
>> which 50 or so come from unique pages; getting all those as
>> notifications would render Echo useless to me.
> I wouldn't want that either. But maybe newbies would; that should probably
> be studied, if notifying newbies of new conversations on their watched talk
> pages is beneficial or not.

Sure, as they don't have 3000 pages watchlisted. :-)

> As for people like us, it seems there's already an opt-out in the form of
> going to Special:Preferences and turning off "flow" notifications. That
> could be made clearer that that's what it does, though.
>
> I agree that the ability to select specific threads or boards for
> notification without doing it for every watchlisted board/thread would be
> even better. But that seems like a lower priority, since watchlists still
> work.

My point was that, with relatively little more effort, the feature
could be made useful to both newbies and veterans. If the best selling
point that new Flow features can offer to us old editors is that they
can be disabled, that's not going to make us love the project.

I don't mean that old users should be given priority over newcomers,
nor even equal treatment (I know the newbie experience can be
dreadful, and veterans are more resourceful), but our needs should be
heard at least for those workflows that are being replaced or modified
- and a couple of candies thrown here and there would help a lot too
to create good will (see the example of {{Ping}} for a successful
case).