Hi Damon, looking forward to meeting you. I'd like to welcome you not
only to WMF, but to the wikimedia-l list. I encourage you to join the
discussions here, even if you feel like you don't have the deep
expertise and broad community context that a lot of the big shots who
post here may have. I don't, and that hasn't stopped me. :) I'm sure
everyone will be happy to help you get up to speed. No doubt others
here would agree with me when I say that your active participation in
the community is at least as important as your responsibilities within
the WMF. In short, the WMF and our community are not sold separately.
They are the yang yin that have made the Wikimedia projects what they
are today, and one can't exist without the other.

I'm not one to tip-toe around taboos, so I'll directly address
something that's important but rarely discussed on this list.
Sometimes people get upset and post things here or onwiki that hurt
feelings or come off as confrontational. In fact, you'll see the
occasional post that has no purpose beyond putting people down and/or
making them feel unwelcome. It has been directed at one time or
another to pretty much every highly active and/or high-profile
Wikipedian. Please understand that this is a natural behavior for
passionate volunteers who have done something extraordinary and want
to make sure that their hard work continues to have a positive impact
in our world.

Our community members have set the bar pretty high by providing
content that the entire world depends on, and their high expectations
from the WMF and the Mediawiki team to provide the best tools possible
for displaying and manipulating that content are well deserved. When
I've found myself in the crosshairs, this thought puts me back in the
big picture and helps me find a productive path forward.

I hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to your first post on this
list. I'm numbering myself among those who are looking forward to your
first post.

Best.
,Wil