I think that this is extremely important moment in the existence of
Wikimedia and contemporary free content movement. The future of the concept
of free knowledge could depend on how Wikimedia positions itself in
relation to this issue and the future similar ones.

This is not about our personal political opinions, this is about very real
consequences, which could define would we have united movement as we know
or just fragments of once great idea. All the lamest Wikipedia edit wars
could look like quite decent past.

Imagine any of our past conflicts. And that could look like a childish game.

This is also the question of how mature our particular and broader
movements are. Are we really a global movement or we are just a sum of
people with good will, strictly determined by our citizenship?

During the last six to seven years we lost few opportunities to become
significant stakeholder on the global stage (cf. contemporary significance
of Facebook). We lost the momentum few times and now we are absolutely
irrelevant as the movement. And if we don't want to lose the movement
itself, we have to be extremely pragmatic from now on.

One very good fact is that it is not anymore a heresy to talk about the
movement instead of data. Yes, our movement is the most important thing to
preserve. Capacity of hard disks and links improved that much, that
preserving data is just a matter of decent organizational work.

Our movement is not just the most important thing to us. In my opinion, our
movement is the best chance of our species to build the future. There were
no and there is no comparable movements.

We have to take this moment extremely seriously and start to work together
on solving numerous obstacles which we'll find in the future.

Our worst-case scenario is to disappear in irrelevance. It will start with
inactive chapters. Formal organization is the most expensive thing to us.
Our events will become less diverse.

Our declining editor community will become less diverse, as well.
Eventually, one by one, Wikipedia in particular languages will become less
important source of information than third party collaborative sums of
knowledge. (Keep in mind that Chinese Wikipedia is not the biggest and the
most useful encyclopedia in Chinese language.)

If we want to keep us as a movement, we have to fight hard for that. It's
not about one challenge, it's about constant challenges which we'll have.
This issue is just the first one.

Wikimedia Foundation's job is to do the best -- and I don't count
conformist answers as valid ones, as the time of plenty is behind us -- to
solve formal obstacles. If the servers have to go to Singapore, they should
go there as soon as possible.

Chapters have to cooperate. That's especially important in relation to the
chapters in the present and future conflict zones. I am aware that such
things are far from an issue presently. However, it could be much harder in
the future.

The rest of us have to take this moment seriously, as well, and do the best
in our personal capacities. That means writing Wikipedia and contributing
to other projects. That means introducing one friend per month into
contributing to Wikimedia projects. That means having active friendships
with people from the other parts of the world.