Just as an aside - tweets about the fundraiser don't appear to be the best
source for informed commentary:

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=wikipedia%20donations&src=typd

Examples:
"Wikipedia is begging for $3 donations? That screams 'Hey, we're in a
little trouble over here'."
"Silly Wikipedia. A service is no longer free once donations are needed to
keep it free."

Perhaps it would be a good idea to reply to some of the comments via
official accounts?

Regards,

Charles (User:Chuq)