Note that there is a parallel e-mail campaign, which also seems to have
ruffled some feathers.

https://twitter.com/williampietri/status/539861727517868032

As shown in the screenshot of that tweet, the sender is "Jimmy Wales,
Wikipedia", and the wording begins:

---o0o---

Dear <name>,

Thank you for helping keep Wikipedia online and ad-free. I'm sure you're
busy, so I'll get right to it. We need your help again this year. Please
help us forget about fundraising and get back to improving Wikipedia.

If all our past donors simply gave again today, we wouldn't have to worry
about fundraising for the rest of the year.

We are the small non-profit that runs one of the top websites in the world.
We only have about 200 staff but serve 500 million users, and have costs
like any other top site: servers, power, programs, and ...

---o0o---

The subject line is "<name>, I'll keep it short".

Best,
Andreas