Russavia asked me to check this to confirm it wasn't just him or his
regional Google setup, and it's both correct and looking into it further
it's hitting every single page on Wikipedia that Google has indexed.

If you search for "DEAR WIKIPEDIA READERS: You're probably busy, so we'll
get right to it. This week we ask our readers to help us. This week we ask
our readers to protect our site:en.wikipedia.org" we're both getting
6,100,000 results.

If you take, at random, some pages for that search result, and then try to
find those pages through a fairly typical, sensible search result using the
page title or keywords in the article, some search text results show the
fundraising banner text, and other pages show a relevant text excerpt from
the page.

I'll pass this on to the developers too, but hopefully this helps here too.

Nick