Are you by any chance American?
Cheers,
peter

-----Original Message-----
From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Chris Keating
Sent: 19 December 2014 01:47 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Our final email

I have to say, I don't see anything remotely objectionable in that email.
Bold italicised text on a yellow background might not win any design awards but
effective fundraising often doesn't win design awards.*

I am not 100% sure how much donors care how soon our fundraiser ends (these
days at least, a few years ago they did get fed up with the perpetual Jimmy
banners). However talking about that does give a sense of urgency to the copy,
which again is a key part of fundraising that actually raises money.

It is of course a reasonable point of view that the WMF and Wikimedia movement
have too much money and shouldn't really try to raise any more. If you hold
that view then I suppose it's reasonable to ask the fundraising team to make
their emails more inept. However, I don't think that is a sensible view to take
at the moment (or, probably, ever).

Chris

*(Actually, the only fundraising industry award I've ever been involved in
winning were for things that looked very nice, but that doesn't disprove the
general principle)