Bumping....I do not see any response on this mailing list from the
Grantmaking team, and I can't actually find very much about this entire
plan on the Grants portal at Meta (which may say more about the grants
portal than about the dissemination of the plant).

However, since this is something that has the potential to affect a lot of
Wikimedians (individuals, chapters, and other affiliated groups)...as well
as women (apparently)... it would be really nice to see what is going on.
Some people have mentioned that they received an email.  Perhaps it could
be forwarded to this mailing list?

Risker/Anne

On 3 January 2015 at 13:35, Lila Tretikov <l...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> For everyone here: I've asked our Grantmaking team to comment and clarify
> the details of this plan.
>
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Answering to Teemu and Chris:
> >
> > I do think that the for Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Art it is
> safe
> > to claim that if we organize it the way we would always do, it would
> still
> > tip the gender balance in our community a little more to the female side.
> > However, I disagree that this should be a main consideration, because I
> > think that would be true for so many outreach projects. Focusing on that
> > would be a pity and a distraction imho. Also, for most participants we
> > don't know the gender, and we don't want to know the gender (because
> asking
> > for it alone can scare people away) - except for a sample of them, who
> > happen to answer the survey afterwards. All data on that is quite shaky.
> >
> > If necessary, I could easily make a case why WLM is a wonderful gendergap
> > project - the point is that I don't want volunteers to waste their time
> on
> > making such cases, but rather let them be innovative, come up with new
> > ideas instead of rebranding existing ideas on something like the
> gendergap.
> > My problems are more fundamental than 'I can't get money for my specific
> > project'.
> >
> > So Chris: yes, these people do a lot for reducing the gender gap in our
> > projects. Also, Wikimedia organizers tend to hop between projects - their
> > next might be more focused on a topic that is popular with women, if
> their
> > current idea isn't yet. Drawing them into a topic in a positive way (what
> > we do is cool! Join us!) tends to be more successful than telling them
> they
> > are not allowed to do other stuff (we won't fund you at all unless you do
> > this specific theme).
> >
> > Prioritisation sounds great, but that only works that way if you have one
> > clearly defined pool of resources, that you can actually control. What do
> > you think is the major bottle neck in organizing activities in the
> > Wikimedia movement? In my experience, that is not money, or even WMF
> staff
> > capacity (even though it is a limiting factor sometimes), but the primary
> > bottle neck is volunteer organizers (or editors). And volunteer time is
> not
> > a resource you can easily 'control'. If you want to influence it, the
> most
> > effective way is by persuading the volunteers why another angle is more
> > interesting, more fun, more effective.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Chris Keating <
> chriskeatingw...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Like Bence, I would be interested to see how this kind of experiment in
> > WMF
> > > grantmaking works out. And also like him I would be a little surprised
> if
> > > something like this is implemented with no notice period.
> > >
> > > A couple of responses to Lodewijk's post;
> > >
> > >
> > > > with people
> > > > confirming my fear that this will likely undermine the community
> > support
> > > > (or at least support by the 'organizing community') for
> > gendergap-related
> > > > projects in general - be it out of frustration, compensation or
> > jealousy.
> > >
> > >
> > > Out of interest, were any of these people doing anything at all to
> > support
> > > the reduction of the gender gap in the first place? ;)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > I
> > > > called it a 'negative campaign' in my emails because the focus is not
> > > about
> > > > actively boosting one type of requests (which is the claim), but
> rather
> > > > about making it harder to do something unrelated to it in the hope
> that
> > > > people instead will choose for the easy way, and organize a gendergap
> > > > related event.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Equally, if you have limited resources, prioritising one thing means
> > > reducing attention to something else. So saying "we shouldn't work on
> the
> > > gender gap if anything else gets less atention as a result" is
> logically
> > > equivalent to saying "We shouldn't work on the gender gap".
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > > Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > > <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to