This is probably related to a group that calls itself India Against
Corruption.
A similar tactic was employed by them on the India Community.
You may look up archives of Wikimediaindia-l and Commons-l.
You could also read up on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Long-term_abuse/India_Against_Corruption_sock-meatfarm

 You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.

In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
to be friends with.

If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
be.

If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.

Austin