How is it possible to give a realistic answer to that question?
Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Risker
Sent: 08 January 2015 02:42 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap
project-related decision

I have one simple question:  if the Grants program was to focus on some other
key area rather than the gender gap, would we be having this discussion about
how horrible it is to waste time this way?  Would we see throwing up of hands
in this way if the focus was, say, requests from the Global South? A focus on
getting great bots built and working across wikis?  A focus on events and
processes for media collection? (Incidentally the latter more or less happens
anyway with several groups applying for funding for WLM within a narrow
period...)

Frankly, there's not a single thing I've read, or a single objection I've seen
raised, that wasn't about how unnecessary it is to focus on women.  I don't
think we've ever heard that about the global south, or non-European languages,
or a lot of other areas where there are acknowledged biases.

Risker/Anne