Hi Everyone,

Thank you for publishing the minutes Stephen. I wanted to add a short note on
the two days the board spent prior to the board meeting. We had a retreat (our
first with the new Executive Director) in which we focused on the changing
nature of the internet, our environment, our users and the way in which
knowledge is documented and disseminated. We then looked at what the impact of
these changes should be on the Foundation as a whole, and our Board in
particular. Some of the proposals were very practical and could be implemented
quite quickly. A good example of this was the need for faster decision making.
As a result we now have monthly online board meetings which are 60-90 minutes
long (so more minutes will follow quickly)

Other ideas need to be worked out in more detail, and we have formed a small
working group that is currently working on some of these ideas to present back
to the board. A good example of this is the reduction of the number of two day
physical meetingsā€¦ is that feasible and will it allow us to attract a different
potential group of board members that simply cannot commit the time for 12-16
days of board meetings including travel).

The ever changing composition of the board gives an extra value to a two day
retreat which allows every one to work together in a structured way. All in all
the retreat was very productive and has already improved some aspects of our
decision making and working together.

As usual I refer you to:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard> if you
wish to ask questions to the board, or have a comment. I cannot promise that we
can answer all questions but this is a good place to keep track of them all.

Regards

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Chair
Board of Trustees