transparency does not always have to mean full public access to information
(in the cases described by Philippe clearly TMI may be e.g. involving the
community and the foundation in lengthy legal disputes, or endanger a
discussed individual). However, I definitely understand that we, as a
community, may have a need to externally confirm the solidity of reasoning
behind bans. I think we already have functionaries of high trust (such as
the Board and/or the stewards) who could oversee the process.

best,

Dariusz Jemielniak a.k.a. "pundit"

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM, rubin.happy <rubin.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's the question of trust: there have been too many situations recently
> when WMF asked us "just to believe":
>
> - believe that there were reasons to ban somebody (Russavia)
> - believe that there were reasons to switch-off fundraising in Russia
> - believe that most readers prefer MultimediaViewer
> - believe that there is positive feedback and results from existing
> annoying banners for fundraising.
>
> I don't want to believe, I want to have transparency.
>
> rubin

> > As has been explained multiple times in multiple places, the WMF have
> been
> > advised, for very good legal reasons, not to give details.
> >
> > "Believe it or not, there's a sensible reason behind our refusal to
> > comment: we can execute global bans for a wide variety of things (see the
> > Terms of Use for some examples - and no, "provoking Jimbo" is not on the
> > list), some of which - including child protection issues - could be quite
> > dangerous to openly divulge. Let's say we execute five global bans, and
> > tell you the reason behind four of them. Well, the remaining one is
> pretty
> > clearly for something "really bad", and open knowledge of that could
> > endanger the user, their family, any potential law enforcement case, and
> > could result in a quite real miscarriage of justice and/or someone being
> > placed in real physical danger. So no, we - as with most internet
> companies
> > - have a very strict policy that we do not comment publicly on the reason
> > for global bans. It's a common sense policy and one that's followed by -
> > and insisted upon - by almost every reasonable, responsible company that
> > executes this type of action. Philippe Beaudette, Wikimedia Foundation
> > (talk) 04:40, 18 January 2015 (UTC)"
> >
> > from https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:WMFOffice#Ban_to_Russavia
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, rubin.happy wrote:
> >
> >  Bans without explanations are certainly not acceptible.
> >>
> >> rubin

> >>  It is now clear that the superprotect affair was only a preliminary
> move.
> from
> >>

> > ----
> > Chris McKenna
> >
> > cmcke...@sucs.org
> > www.sucs.org/~cmckenna
> >

> > The essential things in life are seen not with the eyes,
> > but with the heart
> >
> > Antoine de Saint Exupery

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i centrum badawczego CROW
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard: