This explanation is really correct.

The board is responsible, the board has the mean to "control" everything is
responsibility of WMF, so the board cannot say to don't know or that they
cannot know.

This is not a personal opinion but it's a principle in every governance's
framework.

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens