Hi Andreas and others,

On 4 February 2015 at 12:31, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for the avoidance of doubt – when you say these e-mails "can take up
> to an hour to process", I presume you mean that it takes one hour just to
> read them and understand the complaint. Am I understanding you correctly?

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, yeah.

I'd like to second Michael Maggs' suggestion – having real-time statistics
> on OTRS queues available online would aid visibility and transparency
> (assuming such data aren't publicly available already some place I am
> unaware of). It might also help recruitment, and bring in volunteers to
> help with backlogs and bottlenecks.

Yes, I agree with that. Incidentally, Krd just made an attempt at
implementing something like that (i.e. "live"-reporting the queue size) a
few days (weeks?) ago, and I've suggested we post this to Commons directly
rather than OTRS Wiki. It's pretty much experimental at the moment, and I
think needs some tweaks first (Krd can tell you more), but I imagine this
to be a file on Commons updated automatically on a daily basis, which can
then be transcluded from some maintenance page. That way, Commons
volunteers will get an idea of how permissions is doing at the moment.
Here's an example with up-to-date values:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78un01dx3krxdm/State_of_the_permissions-commons_queues_in_the_last_4_weeks.png?dl=0
-- I think that's pretty cool (the graph, that is, not the backlog ...).

Now, as far as other metrics are concerned, it's something that we (as OTRS
admins) are working on, but also something that is not too easy given OTRS'
built-in reporting functionalities are so rudimentary, they can hardly be
used to produce anything meaningful. Starting this month, however, we'll
post monthly reports (rather than just an annual report), featuring first
response times, workload distributions and ticket load. These will be
posted with a bit of a delay (to be able to report the response time), i.e.
the January report is due at the beginning of March. Our annual report for
2014 -- which will be signicantly expanded vis-à-vis the 2013 doc -- will
be posted sometime during the next two weeks (an announcement will also be
sent to this list).

It's likely that there is quite some bid-ask spread when it comes to
getting good stats, but I very much welcome your suggestions.

Cheers,
Patrik