On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Austin Hair <adh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With more and more Wikimedians engaging in crowdfunding, I suppose we
> can talk about whether the mailing list for Wikimedia movement
> organization is the place to advertise in this way. For my part, I
> don't think a simple (i.e., without any additional context) "please
> check out this Indiegogo" is any different from "hey, check out my
> blog," so when the last one came through the queue I rejected it
> without much thought. It certainly wasn't done with any prejudice.

For my part, I always like to see crowdfunding pitches from
Wikimedians. There haven't been *that* many of them (maybe 8 or 10?),
and so far they've all (that I've seen) come from prolific
contributors.

These crowdfunding pitches generally take a lot more effort to put
together than a blog post does, and they are also easy and satisfying
to act on. If I can take 3 minutes and a few dollars to simultaneously
say thanks to a great contributor and help them make even better
contributions, I'm grateful for that opportunity.

-Sage