I'm pretty concerned that the systematic biases in the wikimedia movement
would be continued if there was no organized effort to do a comprehensive
review of all proposals to see where we are lacking diversity. I'm in favor
of having more focused funding calls like the Inspire Gender Gap campaign.

A large part of the work of the community grant committees..IEG, PEG,
FDC...is evaluating the feasibility of the projects, the impact of work,
and giving feedback. This work needs the assistance of paid staff to make
sure all the information needed to make decision is available. Then
volunteers to look at the information and give a recommendation. I'm not
clear on how the work flow you suggest would get the important aspects of
the work accomplished.

I'm not opposed to a group outside of WMF taking over this type of work.
But there was a huge vacuum in the movement around Learning and Evaluation
until recently.  The WMF began doing this work for lack of anyone else
doing it well. At this point, I can't see an independent organization being
feasible.

Instead of small Project and Event Grants, micro grants, or travel grants,
many organizations are asking for unrestricted funds to pay for staff,
offices, equipment, specialized staff for software development. They want
to have funds to make long term plans with GLAM partner organizations. The
evaluation of these large grant requests is extremely time consuming. Our
current method of asking a group of volunteers to be available to this type
of work a set period of time, and having it also open for other community
comment seems to the best approach to make sure every project get a fair
look.

Today there are dozens of ideas for projects on meta waiting for people to
comment and offer assistance of some type. I'm in favor of doing more to
encourage members of the wikimedia movement to come to meta and join in
working on them.

IdeaLab.  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Ideas

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight