Hi Pine,

I have answered your questions in your email.

Regards,

Garfield

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Garfield,
>
> Ok, follow up questions:
>
> * Does WMF have a plan to keep the Foundation and its essential functions
> operational if, say, the San Francisco main building all SF staff are
> completely offline and unreachable by phone for a week after an earthquake?

Yes, we have a plan in place in case the building in San Francisco is
unavailable.  All San Francisco staff will not be offline for a week after
an earthquake.  Not all staff live in San Francisco, and Loma Prieta showed
that even a major earthquake does not take the entire San Francisco Bay
Area offline.  So essential functions will continue even after an
earthquake.

In addition, even though many of our staff are in San Francisco, we do have
staff in many other states and 18 countries.

* Would there be worthwhile advantages to establishing a second main office
in someplace like the US east coast or Europe?

We have tried to setup a center of activity in other states and it did not
prove to be worthwhile, as staff preferred to work from home or other
locations.  So it was an an additional cost with any additional benefit. It
is my understanding that having an office outside the United States creates
complications for Wikipedia and the other Wiki projects in the area of
content protection.