On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Lih <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Tim, I am not too sure about this. No single piece of open source
> software
> > comes to my mind when hearing bay area or silicon Valley. And no people
> > living there and no company located there. Except the Gnu c compiler and
> > may postgres no single piece of open source software came out of the
> United
> > states, at least not without pressure from software from other countries,
> > mostly German speaking, Scandinavia, Asia.
> >

> Might I suggest, then, that you're not very familiar with open source
> software. The basis of modern UNIX is BSD, and its related free license,
> out of Berkeley, California. Add to that the output of major firms like Sun
> Microsystems (Java) and Google (Android) for their contributions to the
> FLOSS landscape, and it's hard to find anywhere else in the world with more
> impact.

And the term open source was coined at a meeting in Palo Alto, in response
to Netscape's release of Mozilla's source code in Mountain View.[1]

Luis

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_and_open-source_software#The_launch_of_Open_Source
which says the phrase was "adopted" in Palo Alto, but OSI's official history
<http://opensource.org/history> says "created". I'd edit the page to add a
citation, but I'm the author of the current OSI history so I'd rather not...

--
Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement