From: Siko Bouterse <sboute...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Mon, May 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Subject: Announcing Marti Johnson as Program Officer for Individual Grants
To: Staff All <wmf...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,

I'm excited to announce that we've got a new Program Officer for Individual
Grants. Please join me in congratulating Marti Johnson as she transitions
to this role!

Marti joined WMF as Project Coordinator in the Grantmaking and Programs
(later turned Community Engagement) department in September 2014. She
quickly demonstrated that she’s a strategic thinker who brings deep respect
for communities, a facility for organizing systems that foster creativity
and collaboration, and the warmth and generosity needed to support
individuals to do their best work.

In her new role, Marti will be responsible for the Individual Engagement
Grants and Travel and Participation Support programs. She reports directly
to me.

I’m delighted to have Marti move into the Community Resources team to put
her talents to work, particularly for supporting our Individual Engagement
Grantees and taking IEG to the next level over the coming year. Among other
things, Marti will be working on creating more robust mentorship systems
and a broader network to support grantees, while continuing to offer direct
support herself to the IEG grantees, proposers, and committee.

We’ve begun a transition period in which Marti is working to hand-off her
role in supporting Luis and the Community Engagement team while beginning
to assume her new responsibilities in Community Resources. Marti has
already taken on responsibility for Travel and Participation Support, this
week she will be onboarding our new crop of Inspire grantees in IEG, and
over the course of May I’ll be handing all day-to-day operations for IEG to
her as well. More information will be coming from Lynette later this month
about the backfill for Marti’s former Project Coordinator position. Many
thanks to Lynette for bringing Marti to WMF and supporting her move to this
new role :)

Here’s a bit more about Marti, for those of you who haven’t yet had a
chance to get to know her:

Inspired by a senior paper on agrarian community in American literature,
Marti took her first job after college coordinating Community Supported
Agriculture on an urban organic farm.   A year of service as an AmeriCorps
volunteer led to a decade managing collaboratively driven resource
conservation projects on California farmlands.   She gained extensive
experience with grants management, including proposal and report writing,
grantmaking, contract oversight and coordination of budgets ranging from
hundreds to millions of dollars.  Marti specialized in facilitating
community-based processes and played a lead role in coordinating a
private-public alliance which was awarded California’s highest honor for
environmental and economic leadership.  She gained a reputation for
building meaningful collaboration--and among other tools, she relied
heavily on wikis she built with MediaWiki software to do it.  After moving
to San Francisco, Marti was very excited to join WMF and offer skills in
community coordination, collaborative strategy-building and grants
management in the context of Wikimedia projects.  In her free time, Marti
likes to backpack, write and take long walks in Golden Gate Park.  She has
recently been working toward a goal to read through the complete works of
Shakespeare (about 75% complete!) and welcomes read-aloud collaborators.

Congratulations and welcome to Community Resources, Marti!

Warm regards,
Siko

--
Siko Bouterse