This post from the thread last month might shed some light on the problems
with mobile uploads:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mobile-l/2015-April/008986.html

The short answer is that the teams that were Mobile Apps and Mobile Web are
now part of the broader Readership Department, so won't be working on
anything related to mobile uploads. There is a Multimedia Team
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors#Multimedia> in
the Editing Department. I'd suggest speaking to them about it.

The longer answer is that I think campaign proposals should be holistic. If
the campaign wants to make mobile uploads a priority, then the campaign
should not rely on some other subunit of the movement doing a total change
in priorities to accommodate that. That's just not very realistic.

A simple little app, managed by the organisers of the campaign, to upload
images for a specific campaign seems like a much better approach to this
problem. Image uploading functionality is available over our APIs, which
are open and well documented, so it's perfectly doable. You'll have a
pretty easy time finding app developers looking for work; the number of
people in the world who develop apps is much, much higher than the number
of people who develop MediaWiki extensions. It needn't be a mobile app
either; one could easily make a little web app that uses the API that's
hosted in Labs if you prefer. You could budget for app development that in
whatever budgeting requests you make to support the campaign, then you're
the one that's in total control of it. This is *exactly* why we make our
APIs totally open, so that people can do this kind of thing!

That said, these are just my opinions as a person who leads product
development teams at the Wikimedia Foundation. I am not an authority on how
the grantmaking system works or should work. :-)

Dan