Milos, thanks for your long email because it highlights some problems I
mentioned already in another long email ("Building a we in the wikimedia
movement"). It is in fact hard to deal with social systems, but
nevertheless important if we want the movement to survive to itself. The
greatest enemy are the dynamics that neglect volunteers instead of
empowering them, that try to centralize the system to make it more
"efficient" around technological solutions, instead of making more
effective at building a togetherness, which is in the end the only thing
that can keep it alive.

The thing is that these kind of paradigm shifts only happen with the will
of personal transformation. I often hear "if only the wmf did this or
that", however I seldom read "if only I was able to be a more agreeable
volunteer to work with". Involvement comes from perceived benefit, and in
our case it seems that the metrics went wrong long ago, first in article
count, then in number of volunteers, then funds raised, KPIs, etc, etc, and
I say it is all useless metrics that don't reflect at all the health of the
movement.

I agree that number of healthy discussions might be a much better
indicator, and I also agree that the social aspects of the movement are the
key parameter, and for that reason I have joined your initiative. In
systems engineering the emergent properties of the whole depend on the
individual properties of the agents, so that should be the main focus, to
encourage growth of the volunteer community, to establish paths for them to
advance, and of course to let these advances to spread out to the whole
community.

The practical wisdom cultivated while attending conferences, reading lists,
establishing contacts, etc, is a rare quality and there are not enough
efforts to make it more prominent or appreciated. But again who should do
this effort? It is the task of each person to assume its own wished
responsibility to transform himself or herself for the benefit of all the
community.

Power exists in every organization, however "power-grabbing" should be
coupled with the path of personal transformation that allows to use this
power in a constructive way which makes people feel more motivated. In my
personal experience I have worked with managers that just by being
themselves were able to get more commitment from my side than others who
stick to the procedures. Why so? Because it is easily noticeable who is
using power to empower, or who is using it as an uncontrolled ak-47 to calm
their inner frustrations.

I sincerely hope that your initiative gains traction, together with others
we run a similar initiative on Wikidata for some time
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Lounge
From the experience I can say that it is not as easy to do it online as it
would have been in person. In the end what matters is the personal
commitment to other fellow wikimedians, and it is much easier to commit to
other people who you met in person before or had some contact.

Anyhow, if more people would join, it could lead to the formation of a user
group and as a group it is much easier to have a say in procedures and try
to make them more human. For me this is not just about complaining, but
about finding ways for effective action that leads to more people
interested to transcend their own limitations, just as I would like to
transcend mine.

Thanks again for your bravery, and I hope it leads to positive change.

Cheers,
Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non