On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
[re: experiments using video.js to improve UI of TimedMediaHandler]

> And we will need brion’s ogv.js https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/ work
> to support browsers without OGV/WebM support.

A couple updates on that front:

1) It looks like it should be easy to integrate ogv.js into video.js as a
player tech.

2) I have an early version of WebM decoding in JavaScript
<https://brionv.com/log/2015/06/07/im-in-ur-javascript-decoding-ur-webm/>
working! It's much slower than Ogg but has higher video quality when
there's CPU available for it, as on a fast desktop/laptop that's running
Safari or IE without WebM drivers natively installed.

3) I've also found a combination of free-but-crappy codec options that
works in iOS natively: AVI with Motion-JPEG video and uncompressed audio
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101716>! To keep the bitrate sane we'll
have to turn quality down, but 5fps and scratchy audio is often better than
nothing. This will work at times when ogv.js can't be used, such as the
embedded web browsers in iPhone apps that haven't updated to Apple's latest
embedding APIs.

-- brion