Events sometimes get whitelisted for account creation purposes:
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/throttle.php.txt
The exceptions there there could be made to set $wgCaptchaWhitelistIP too.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 8:54 AM, WereSpielChequers
<werespielchequ...@gmail.com> wrote:
> alternatively perhaps we could whitelist certain domains as likely to be
> reliable sources and unlikely to be spam.
There actually already is a whitelist ($wgCaptchaWhitelist in
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/CommonSettings.php.txt).
Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no on-wiki way to change it,
but you could always compile a list of domains and submit it through
Phabricator.