I agree with Jane that it is great that one of us gets to write in the NY
Times. But I would slightly disagree with Andrew. Yes smartphones are becoming
ubiquitous, and for smartphone users Wikipedia is a broadcast medium not an
interactive one. That's not great, especially for those languages where
Wikipedia is far less written than in English. But I'm not seeing this as an
existential threat. I'm sure the WMF has some clue full people trying to make
the site as mobile friendly as possible, I'd put money on the smartphone
industry trying to cram yet more PCfunctionality into their hardware, I know
that the smartphone generation are capable of doing things with their phones
that I can barely comprehend - and that the kids growing up with smartphones
will be more proficient still; and whilst we are seeing PC and Laptop sales
fall, an element of that is market stabilisation and commodification - why
worry that PC sales are falling if that just means people are replacing their
PCs less frequently?

If ownership of PCs was falling, people were moving all their internet activity
to the smartphone, and Wikipedia was pretty much the only bit of the Internet
left behind when you migrate to smartphone, then I would be worried.

As it is I just see this as a change to the environment we are in, a change
that makes things more difficult for us, but not one that threatens our
survival.

Regards

Jonathan