Under this new law, would images already uploaded to Commons under FOP actually
have to be deleted? Surely the new law wouldn't apply retrospectively, but
would just affect future uploads of photos?

Personally, I view this as a much more direct threat to our content than SOPA
was. I found it difficult to explain why SOPA was bad, and why we blacked out
Wikipedia articles in protest, but it would be very easy to explain why this
directly affects us. The 'non-commercial' aspect of Michael's arguments is the
most difficult one to address, but that has always been true (thanks to the
existence of the CC-NC license). I'm opposed to us restricting access to
knowledge to make a point, but there is a very good case for a large site
banner informing users about this issue, and how they can oppose it.

Thanks,
Mike