There's a point to be made there: Libraries in some countries are still
being destroyed (see
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/28/mali-timbuktu-library-ancient-manuscripts
and http://elaph.com/Web/Culture/2015/2/985403.html or
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/isis-burns-8000-rare-books-030900856.html),
and although there's an effort to save them, it's not an effort we're
really involved with. That's before we even start on how to reflect a
reference to a non-existent book on Wikipedia!

But to get back to the original point, a semi-automated effort might be the
best way (if the slowest) to get these web pages linked properly again.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992