I agree: there are excellent free-software flashcard programs out there,
and no need to duplicate that functionality.  This does suggest that
convenient export functions (e.g. by category, by language) in formats
expected by Anki etc. could enable a lot more use of Wiktionaries as
sources for vocabulary study.

   A.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Dennis During <dcdur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The flashcard function idea is not essential, given the availability of
> superior free, open-source, multi-platform flashcard programs like Anki.
> But it might be a good tool for engaging folks.
>
> There are Swadesh lists for many languages, which should be supplemented by
> more contemporary words and phrases.
>
> It seems interesting and possibly grant-worthy.  But finding the talent to
> persevere is non-trivial.
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM, <d...@bisharat.net> wrote:
>
> > Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary &
> > fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African
> > languages:
> >

> http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html
> >
> > An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> > "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> > headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> > definition(s)?
> >
> > Don Osborn
> >
> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> Dennis C. During