Online flashcards would be useful for demonstrating the idea to those not
familiar with some aspect of them.  Directing users to the sources of
software for their platforms would be in the interests of both users
(better individualization, no need for connectivity) and MW (less server
load).

The need is to overcome some of the barriers that the blog article
identified to make the enterprise appear likely to succeed so that more
folks can get involved and hep it succeed.

Priorities for achieving early successes are important.

1. Simple flashcards do not require the development of inflection
templates, though inflection templates would be important milestones.
2. Core vocabulary is basic and may help recruit folks with the skills
required to achieve more advanced objectives.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Asaf Bartov <abar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I agree: there are excellent free-software flashcard programs out there,
> and no need to duplicate that functionality.  This does suggest that
> convenient export functions (e.g. by category, by language) in formats
> expected by Anki etc. could enable a lot more use of Wiktionaries as
> sources for vocabulary study.
>
>    A.
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Dennis During <dcdur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The flashcard function idea is not essential, given the availability of
> > superior free, open-source, multi-platform flashcard programs like Anki.
> > But it might be a good tool for engaging folks.
> >
> > There are Swadesh lists for many languages, which should be supplemented
> by
> > more contemporary words and phrases.
> >
> > It seems interesting and possibly grant-worthy.  But finding the talent
> > persevere is non-trivial.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM, <d...@bisharat.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary &
> > > fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African
> > > languages:
> > >

> http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html
> > >
> > > An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> > > "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> > > headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> > > definition(s)?
> > >
> > > Don Osborn
> > >
> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> > --