I can probably speak for those communities.  On the whole, the logic behind the
Lsjbot experiment was simple: build it and they will come.

So far though, this hasn’t happened.  We from the Tagalog Wikipedia were also
approached for this experiment, but we know what happens when bot-generated
articles are made: the community is overwhelmed.  Out of that fear, we declined
to participate.

One of the concerns some editors in the Philippines have (and these are
sentiments I share) is that these two Wikipedias turn us into a laughingstock,
willing to increase article numbers at any cost.  At one point, the Cebuano
Wikipedia was described as a Wikipedia of French communes, not content relevant
to Cebu or Cebuanos.  I don’t think we’d like that with other Wikipedias in the
Philippines or elsewhere.

Regards,

Josh

> Wiadomość napisana przez WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com> w
> dniu 6 lip 2015, o godz. 04:52:
>
> These are fascinating experiments, I hope that the Waray-waray and Cebuano
> communities will at some point report back to the wider community as to how
> this worked out. My fear is that too fast a growth rate could overwhelm
> whatever community we have in those languages leading to burn out of
> existing editors dealing with too many newbies at once, my suspicion is
> that this will vary by language depending on such variables as the ratio of
> PC users to smartphone users, and the ease with which editors can access
> the necessary character sets.
>
> We have long known that bot creation of stubs that are of interest to
> speakers of a language is a way to recruit readers, and that some readers
> become editors. What I think we don't yet know is the maximum growth rate
> that a wiki community can cope with.
>
> There is also a sustainability angle, though hopefully we can mitigate that
> by bot replacing of articles where the source has changed but they haven't
> been edited on the Cebuano or Waray-waray Wikipedias. Otherwise within a
> decade we could have pedias that look very dated, for example various
> record holders whose articles in other languages show their records have
> been surpassed, and villages
>
> WereSpielChequers

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>