> > These kids do not appreciate knowledge and information because they grew
> up
> > with its abundance. When I was growing up (and I am only 30), printed
> > encyclopedia was the only research tool.
>
> You would have been 8 years old when Encarta was launched.

I am from a small non-English speaking country. There was lack of even
general books on topics because on how small the population (3.5 million).
I remember I had to do a long research paper on India (history, geography,
culture, religion, etc.). You would think easy - India is a big,
interesting country. Surely there must be books on it. Not so much...
Unless you wanted to read someone's travel impressions from 30 years ago
for 300 pages. Finding the info was the biggest struggle. And so we had
this 12-volume encyclopedia. And it was was like the crown jewel of our
possessions. My mom forbade me to mark anything (even with a pencil) at all
on the pages.

> Those kids never deprived of knowledge and information will never know how
> > precious it is.
>
> Eh you always hit walls sooner or later. A lot of information is still
> buried in libraries (the best soruce I'm aware of for theThe jewelry of
> roman Britain is a book written in 1996). Other stuff is behind paywalls or
> is commercially sensitive. Or simply doesn't exist (there doesn't seem to
> be a solid history of calshot castle anywhere).

You are talking about niche, specialized topics graduate students might
care. Yes, there is still a lot of info locked in the dead-tree world, but
anything that an average high school kid might need is in overabundance on
the Internet (Wikipedia included). In fact, I am becoming convinced that
for this new generation filtering the info from the flood out there will be
a lot more valuable skill than finding info.