There's a more general problem here we should fix:

We already know that effectiveness of any single banner drops off
dramatically after the first few views.  So there's rarely a reason to run
a continuous banner -- certainly not if there are other banners to run.

We should improve the effectiveness of all banners by showing them
conservatively.  If most pageloads are completely banner free, banners will
likely have a greater impact when they are shown. And we should be able to
measure this: tracking how effective each % of visibility is at getting
clickthroughs for each banner.  Making that sort of data immediately
visible to everyone who designs banners would be a great step forward.

Are WLM projects doing A/B testing of banner messages?  Do you have access
to A/B test frameworks and results?

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266