It has been my experience that site banners are the best way to reach
casual readers who are not already integrated into the projects and
existing communication channels.  This is why the Fundraising team run
banners, rather than begging for money through Facebook and targeted talk
page messages, I would imagine.  The communications channels you're
referring to are excellent for reaching existing contributors, but when
you're trying to reach new or casual contributors, a big banner at the top
of articles can't be beat.

Cheers,
Craig