I think you describe the essence of the problem: there is a big gap between
the community and the Wikimedia Foundation.

I have a long list of problems from the past years that all seem to
originate in this basic problem. The Wikimedia Foundation is too much
de-attached from the community.

At the same time I notice that since last year, Lila is trying to improve
this situation, but there is a very very long way to go to move the
Wikimedia Foundation away from the dark side of the moon.
(To prevent generalisation: I know also a lot of staff in WMF that are
closely involved in the community and doing a great job in being attached
with the community.)

Romaine