Trillium, they were not writing to  " bring the apparently self-submitted
but failed drafts of articles of persons, organizations, and businesses up
to compliance with Wikipedia standards ". They were mostly posting the same
rejected article, supplemented sometimes by references that made it look
more impressive, but actually had little if any relationship with the
articles subject. They did act to "get  them live", but they did it by
subterfuge, using various tricks to bypass the usual process of new page
patrol and other review.  T

I  personally examined all the articles; so did   several other people with
long experience in knowing what passes WPs deletion processes. Out of the
over 200,  I was able to identify 3 where it might have been possible to
write a satisfactory article; other people spotted a few additional ones.
The remainder were on topics where nobody could do so.  If the perpetrators
of this scheme did know Wikipedia,  as they claimed to in their sales
pitches, they would have known this also, and known that they were asking
for payments for what they would have known they could not deliver. If they
had no such knowledge, they were making false claims of expertise.  In
either case, they were sufficiently clever to make no guarantee.

Are you still " not seeing the harm"?

Sometimes "well-off Westerners" have done similar things,  though we have
had no previous example of such blatant and extensive extortion,  and we
have hundreds of cases where we have proceeded equally against them.

Matt, it isn't WP they are going to sue. It's the people who defrauded
them. It isn't removing this material that might give us a bad reputation;
it would have been the failure to remove them.  No technical measure will
prevent similar attacks on our integrity, though ones under discussion will
make it more difficult for naive beginners.  Only vigilance by WPedians who
are willing to   fully and knowledgeably  examine contributions will have
any substantial effect.  But we do in fact have something to be ashamed of,
which is  our previous negligence: there are probably 100,000 or so
articles not challenged in the past that need to be skeptically revisited.

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG