On 10 September 2015 at 07:21, WereSpielChequers <
werespielchequ...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A quick follow up to the signpost article of a couple of weeks ago
> <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2015-08-26/In_focus
> >We
> now have the August figures
> <https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm>, and August has
> continued what we might reasonably start calling the new trend. The English
> Wikipedia has more editors with 100 or more live edits in mainspace than
> for any August since 2010. Across all Wikipedias combined the figures are
> up almost as steeply with a near 10% increase on August 2014, though this
> doesn't quite get us back to 2012 levels.

​Interesting data, but it's just data, not a conclusion.​

Also, and a bit off-topic, "core editing community" is a pretty offensive
term to use for "editors who make more than 100 edits a month",
disregarding the continuing editors who make fewer than 100 edits as
non-core regardless of the value they add to the wikis; the normal term is
"very active editors" to avoid implicit disparagement.

​[Snip]​

editors making 5 or more saves
> ​[is]
>  down
> across Wikipedia generally when comparing August 2015 with 2014.

​So, actually, your title​ is faulty and misleading. Instead, you could say:

   - "English Wikipedia editor numbers continue to decline but meta-editors
   are up",
   - "Editor diversity falls as more edits are done by fewer editors", or
   even
   - "Beset by a falling number of editors, existing users of the English
   Wikipedia feel compelled to edit still more in their desperate attempts to
   fix things"?

But it's nice to have one metric be positive.

​I'm not sure it is.​ What is the nature and value of these edits? Two
editors endlessly reverting each other counts as "more edits" but adds no
value; one hundred editors each writing a beautiful Featured Article in a
single edit counts as less "work" than one admin reverting 101 vandalism
edits by a single spambot. What's your next step to evaluate this?

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing