Hi!

In economics there is a business cycle with ups and downs. This is a
naturally process that also exists in the number of editors.
If there would be a trend that only exists in more and more users editing,
just like the dot-com buble <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble>,
a growth that is too large collapses at some point as the existing
community can't handle it.

In multiple years I have given workshops and edit-a-thons where new editors
learned how to edit. They all are very interested in continuing with it.
But for some reason they actually did not. Asking why received in a very
simple answer: on Wikipedia it lacks of an environment where new users can
actually work together in an easy way, where they can form a group and
easily follow the group edits, having a joint project, etc. They experience
that after an workshop, they walk into a large wiki where it is not easy to
start from blank, they experience the doorstep as too high. As long as this
issue, noticed with many many groups of new editors, is not solved, the
core problem is not solved.

And beyond that issue, there are also other issues we can think of,
including how newcomers are treated, or the difficulties of online
communication, and more. There is a lot of work to do before I think we can
be really positive about the number of users. Not to be negative, but to be
realistic.
As movement we should work together on getting a more social environment.

Greetings,
Romaine