Hi Erik,

If you compare the annual reports by the Wikimedia Foundation of
donated funds against the basic annual cost of running the servers,
these are only a tiny fraction of the total. There's no lack of
funding for the basics, so this is not a risk at the moment.

A closely related discussion has been a global crowd-sourced form of
creating multiply redundant snapshots of all our data, especially of
all the images on Wikimedia Commons. If, say, America was knocked
off-line one day due to meteor strike or the zombie apocalypse, the
rest of us in our post-apocalyptic Europe could easily recreate the
projects on new emergency servers. Probably in Germany ;-) This is an
easier proposition than maintaining a live "mirror". Note that small
portable versions of the text of Wikipedia exist, the idea being that
you can take it as a reference work when you are offline and not need
any special kit.

Fae