On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!  Is there any more information on the issue with MusicBrainz?
>
> 17:26:27 <DanielK_WMDE> sjoerddebruin: yes, we went for MusicBrainz first,
> but it turned out to be impractical. you basically have to run their
> software in order to use their dumps
>

> MusicBrainz was a major source of information for Freebase, so they appear
> to have been able to figure out how to parse the dumps (and they already
> have the MusicBrainz & Wikipedia IDs correlated).
>
> Is there more detail, perhaps in a bug somewhere?

The issue is that they do offer dumps but you need to set up your own
musicbrainz server to really use it. This was too time-intensive and
complicated for the students to make progress on during their project.
Because of this they decided to instead opt for another dataset
instead to get started. In the future Musicbrainz should still get
done. If anyone wants to work on adding more datasets to the tool
please let me know.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata