Megan,

As pointed out previously,[1] the Wikipedia Reader Survey mentioned in the
Fundraising Report didn't ask respondents to assess the urgency of the
fundraising message against the Foundation's actual financial situation (or
if they were asked, those results weren't reported). Several members of
this list had suggested this be done. It is disappointing that it wasn't.

One example banner shown in the report for example says:

"Wikipedia readers. We survive on donations. If everyone reading this gave
$3, we could keep it online and ad-free for another year."

As a number of people have told you, this type of banner message is widely
understood to signify that the Wikimedia Foundation lacks funds to keep
Wikipedia online without ad revenue for another year. But in fact, you took
enough money this year alone to keep Wikipedia and all other Wikimedia
projects online and ad-free until the year 2040, if you allocated the funds
received to that purpose.

On the suggestions page in Meta,[2] I proposed on September 1, 2015 that
you test a wording which, instead of telling people you need money to keep
Wikipedia online without ads, just told them "to take one minute to keep
our work going for another year".

That would be an honest message: you are doing a lot of work. Most of this
has nothing to do with keeping Wikipedia online and ad-free, but much of it
is valuable. Moreover, I and many others would like the Foundation to do
more in certain areas. I understand that doing stuff costs money. But
donors need to understand what their money is used for.

It took you four weeks to reply to my suggestion, only to tell me that the
version you tested still asked people for money "to keep it online and
growing". And you say that you don't have time to test anything else now.

So I am fully expecting that we will see messages of the "Wikipedia
readers. We survive on donations. If everyone reading this gave $3, we
could keep it online and ad-free for another year." type in two months'
time.

This is a shame. It is quite possible that readers would donate amply out
of generosity and gratitude, without having to be frightened with the
spectre of Wikipedia blinking out of existence.

If you told readers specifics about the Foundation's work, instead of the
platitudes contained in an out-of-date FAQ,[3] people might even be
inspired and enthused into donating.

To me, all of this reflects very, very poorly on the Foundation. There are
many different kinds of wealth. Money is a kind of wealth, integrity is
another. Long-term, the latter brings better rewards.

Andreas

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2015-03-18/Op-ed
[2]