You could excuse the Perth and Manila bid teams for being very angry at
having wasted a lot of time and energy when the decision was apparently
made behind closed doors weeks ago.  Even if you think the idea of getting
rid of the expensive bid process is a good idea (and I do), the way that
this was not communicated to the community is simply abominable.

Cheers,
Craig