I would not comment the possibility of the community to manage a Wikimania.

The community is the main stakeholder of Wikimedia, and as main stakeholder
everything should be focused on the community.

In the other hand I really think that the current trend of Wikimania is not
*sustainable* neither for the community nor for the WMF staff.

The staff can manage Wikimania but using a lot of resources, and it's not
sustainable.

The current position of the Wikimania's committee, even if bold, goes in
the right direction to have a more sustainable Wikimania with a long term
program of setup.

The main concern is that this position should have been communicated more
efficiently and should have been introduced to the community earlier.

The community is not a stupid body, it's the body of Wikimedia.

Kind regards

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Pavel Richter <m...@pavelrichter.de> wrote:

> > Of course it is the committee to have its say about Wikimania.
> >
> > If I understand it well, the main problem was that the bid period was
> > from August to November 2015, and some groups were working on their
> > bids. They feel that they could have saved a lot of work if they had
> > known before.
> >

> ​Yes, I agree, Ziko. And I do not take it lightly. As I said,
> communications was really, really bad here. So WMF would be well advised o
> invite everyone who worked on a bid to Montreal 2017, all costs covered.
> And maybe Lila would be well advised to call the good folks who prepared a
> bid as well.
>
> BUT: That is not the main point. The main point is that Wikimedia now has
> replaced a broken process. And we should celebrate that. (And if it turns
> out that the new process does not work, than it will be changed again.
> Hopefully not by consensus, but by a small group of people who just say:
> Enough is enough).​
>

> ​Pavel​
>

> > Kind regards
> > Ziko

> > > The ends should be used as the justification of the means.
> > >
> > > Never.
> > >
> > > Fae

> > take
> > they