Hey Neil,

I’ll let Carlos add his thoughts, but basically, this was a consistent request
from affiliates. So the short answer is that the target audience requested it,
and we want them to use it. :) The page that Pine mentioned
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network#Mailing_list_request_for_comment

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network#Mailing_list_request_for_comment>)
 is one example of where this request came up.

Slightly longer answer, and I am interpreting and summarizing what I heard from
affiliates, is that they would like a space to privately discuss issues -
sometimes sensitive in nature - with each other. As Carlos mentioned, the first
mentioned goal is a space for affiliates to discuss issues specific to their
work. I think the concern is that if it was up for public review (not that
affiliates fear public debates), they might be less willing or even able to
discuss some issues that might, for example, involve financial matters, privacy
issues, or embargoed communications.

Hope that helps answer your question.

-greg (User:Varnent)
Vice Chair, Affiliations Committee