I personally think that the main concern, in this proliferation of groups, is an lack of the implementation of a "good governance".

A user group is like a body, it can born, can develop and can die.

At the moment there is an unclear guideline about the monitoring and the development of these groups: they can only born.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_user_groups

Basically the affiliation committee creates these entities, but don't monitor them and don't evaluate to retire (or the best would be to freeze) some old entities when they become essentially inactive or silent.

In this case the balance would be compensated and the proliferation of these groups would have a sense.

Kind regards