I was just looking at the vital signs graph for Dutch and noticed that
mobile page views has overtaken desktop pageviews on weekends, which is
pretty cool. Maybe there could be a Wikigame that you could tune per
language that connects items to articles? This wouldn't help with
Wikipedians who refuse to look at Wikidata, but it may help with the
overall reduction of double items. Just yesterday I found an item for a
disambigution page for "Saftleven" in Italian Wikipedia without any
statements at all and merged it to a pre-existing item for a "Saftleven"
disambiguation page for two other language wikipedias that did have some
statements. I think especially these sorts of items can be problematic, as
the label which should link them up is not visible to the Wikipedian
working in their own language wiki.