We have many years of running these very similar projects. It should
be possible to compare the value of outcomes against each other to see
if some use better practices than others, and then to help assess
future grant proposals for their potential value against estimated
costs.

I agree that outcomes are more than quantity of images, and the large
WMF programme evaluation training had precisely the aim of ensuring
that all funded projects would apply non-subjective measures of
value (i.e. investment per image, investment per new editor,
investment per new article are all measurable). One issue raised
was the poor quality of a significant number of images, and quality
should be part of the measurability of claimed outcomes. The original
post in this thread mentioned that 86 photographs have been used on
Wikipedia, this is a reasonable measure of quality, though investing
$11,000 for this outcome is probably an unfair comparison, so others
are needed.

When programmes include competitions with prizes, then this requires
special attention at the grant stage due as, again, we have
experienced several controversies around programmes reliant on this
method.

We may wish to change the thread title, but the governance questions
raised are relevant and are best not dismissed with "stop wasting our
time on an email thread which should be about good PR".

Fae