Hello Illario and Jane,

Thanks by your comments. That is exactly the point!

WLM and WLE are not only about the number of pictures loaded and the general
quality of the pictures. It's about our mission and new users engagement too.

That is what our group is trying to do here, teach people about our mission and
what Wikipedia and commons really is and how to contribute. Unfortunately we
receive more international community support than local support #SadButTrue.

As you can read in all planning pages, grant requests and emails, Rodrigo
Argentom is always there trying to create barriers, posting negative comments
and generating unfruitiful discussions. We never received any contribution or
constructive comment from him, so I decided to just ignore him and move forward
with our ideas and objectives. Based on that bad behavior he was blocked in
many Wikimedia projects (pt.wikipedia and etc) and as I know, he is not part of
any group, he is only around with that old trash talking.

Based on the level of maturity of our Brazilian community and the low interest
of that community in off-line activities like WLM, WLE, GLAM and etc, is a
utopia to think that in a single project we will collect a huge amount of
pictures, with high level of quality and that all the photographers will join
on commons, will categorize properly all the pictures and they will look at
Wikipedia and will add the good pictures there, it will never happens here, not
without a massive support from the local community.

We will have to do it in many steps, right now we are just a small user group
trying to move forward, we are not a chapter with payed staff and a lot of
people working on this full time, we are just a group of students, teachers and
researchers doing what we can, when we can.

The WLE and WLM are generating a good impact in Brasil with a good media
coverage and a lot of positive external comments.

We had many posts published on blogs, important portals, printed
magazines(60.000 copies) and newspapers regarding the contest, spreading our
objectives and the final results.

- WLE 2015 media coverage:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Earth_2015_in_Brazil/Planning#Mat.C3.A9rias_na_m.C3.ADdia
- WLM event page access statistics:
http://stats.grok.se/pt/latest90/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015/Brasil
- WLM 2015 media coverage:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015_in_Brazil/Planning#Publica.C3.A7.C3.B5es

For both contests we used strategies and campaigns on social media, reaching
hundreds of thousands of people.

During WLM we get an important structured list of monuments from the Brazilian
gov and now we are in touch with IPHAN, the institute responsible by protect
and register the national monuments in Brasil. So, for the next years we will
have conditions to improve and increase the list of monuments. This king of
stuff are positive impact

WLE and WLM are only the beginning of our efforts to move forward with the
Wikimedia Movement here in Brasil.

I know that I shall meet many barriers and many "R. Argentoms" along the way,
but I will continue fighting for our mission, that is bigger than anyone of us
;-)

Rodrigo Padula
Coordenador de Projetos
Grupo Wikimedia Brasileiro de Educação e Pesquisa
http://www.wikimedia.org.br
21 99326-0558

---- Em Sáb, 31 Out 2015 09:37:31 -0200 Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com>
escreveu ----

I totally agree with Ilario here. We have yet to put a financial value on a
Wikimedia contributor time unit, but I would venture to say that if such
projects manage to procure even one Wikimedia contributor for the projects
then that is money well spent.