We are hoping for broad participation, too, Lila! More input, and wide
input, gives us a better chance at coming up with strong ideas that can
improve our techniques and tools to address harassment across the board.

In the four + years I've been at the Wikimedia Foundation, I've been
involved in more than a few incidents involving harassment. Some of what
I've seen has been utterly appalling. It is an issue that I believe can
impact anyone, female or male, from any project. One of the driving factors
in our team's desire to do this work is the recognition of the impact that
the issue can have on people and the real difficulty in addressing it.

As people are likely aware, we have recently wrapped the survey part
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015> of our
consultation. We will be compiling data from it over the next several weeks
and releasing it publicly as soon as that work is complete to help give us
a clearer idea of the scope of the issue on our projects. The current
consultation phase
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Harassment_consultation_2015> is a
thought-gathering exercise. We're hoping to collect all kinds of ideas
about the problem - what it is, how it can be addressed, what's working in
other places, what's working for us, and what it isn't working for us.

We don't imagine that this is a "one consultation solves the problem"
situation. Our goal is to, with ongoing conversations, work with
communities to start creating actionable resources to assist with
harassment. My personal hope is that we will wind up with solutions that
can be implemented at all levels - by the WMF, by the communities.
(Probably too much to hope for immediate external change, like better
legislation, but I can dream!)  But the purpose of the conversation at this
stage is to make sure that we hear many ideas and different ideas and that
we consider them together. Because there may be and probably is somebody
out there with an unexpected and insightful perspective or a unique idea.
For that reason, we are calling to everyone we can to participate in this
conversation. Our survey was sent to a subset of active editors on every
project, and we invite participation from absolutely anyone in this
consultation.

Just for clarity with regards to what we're doing on child protection, I
want to be sure people realize that, although child protection is one of
our priorities, it’s not necessarily the focus of the harassment
consultations and our wider harassment project. :) It’s something we are
working on separately. Child protection has been part of our workflow since
before I came aboard in 2011. What's new here is our ability to focus. We
have been working to strengthen our policies and practices and have created
a trust & safety team with the intent to strengthen our trust & safety
practices.[1] While all of CA assists in trust & safety work and the trust
& safety team assists in other areas of CA work, the team helps ensure our
focus remains on this important work and also builds a frame for an
increasingly robust trust & safety response in future.

Best,

Maggie

[1] Trust & safety, for those unfamiliar with the term, includes child
protection and general protection of the public and our communities from
threats.

Maggie Dennis
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.